Monday, September 27, 2010

So powerful is the light of unity that it can illuminate the whole earth






What an amazing weekend! My week started out terribly as some of you may know. It was one of the worse weeks that I have had in a while. It just seemed like everything was falling apart and nothing was going right. Trust me when I say that by the time Friday came I was close to crawling in a hole and rotting there. Thank God for all the amazing friends I have because I was in such a terrible rut that it was so hard to get out of without the helping hands of others. I can't even begin to say how much all of you guys mean to me. There is a saying that I love and this week really exemplified that. And I know I have posted it before it just explains what happened to me. A true friend knows the song in my heart and sings it to me when my memory fails. Thanks to all of you who really helped me through this week. Now that a new week has started I have really been in a great mood. I feel like myself again and you don't even know how good that feels. Also, doing the events that I did this weekend really helped my spirit. It helped know that I was doing good for others. So next time you are having a terrible week or you really need to put some softness in your spirit, go to your local soup kitchen or something and just volunteer for an hour or so. It will help more then you can imagine. Anyways, like I said this past weekend was truly amazing and I will tell you about all of my adventures. Friday night I was given the opportunity to participate in a fashion show for the Ministry of Caring. This show was so much fun because I got to wear some great clothes and get my hair and makeup done and just get all glammed up. Not only was it fun to model but it was nice being around some wonderful pageant ladies. I got to do alot of chatting and just hanging out with them so it was a nice time. Although I was completely exhausted after because the fashion show did end up going pretty late and this momma didn't end up getting home until well past her bed time. But all in all I think the event was very successful and raised alot of funds which is really the most important thing. Thank you Siouxzan (my beautiful director) for asking me to be involved along with Marci and Fawn, it was so great doing an event with you and I am sure it will not be the last. So now that I told you of the event that I got to get all pretty and dolled up, I will tell you of the event where I got down and dirty. Its so funny of the different extremes I had this weekend lol. On Sunday I went to probably the funnest event I have ever been to, not only the funnest but the toughest most challenging event. I participated in my first 5K on Sunday, but this wasn't just any 5K it was a mud run with a military style obstacle course with, you guessed it, a whole lot of mud! My team was spectacular! I was part of team Divalicious and we rocked it! Now we ended up raising $1,659 which placed us in 2nd place for fund raising our of 654 teams. Now I can't take any props for the fund raising part. As most of you know I just did an event for the American Lung Association and I tapped all my sources completely dry. Now that didn't keep me from trying hard but since the event I just did was not too long ago it was difficult for me personally to raise funds. But the other girls did such a great job when it came to fund raising I was so proud to be in the team. But next time I will definitely be good for the fund raising. I did feel a little defeated going into the event because I know since I didn't raise alot of fund I didn't feel like I contributed alot. But my team was so great that when we did the event I didn't feel defeated at all. Now if you didn't make it out to the Mud Run you totally missed out! Not only was it a great event for the runner but all the people watching were amazing. The atmosphere was so encouraging and energetic and just lively. There was no way you could have just been sitting around. Between the music and the cheering and all the encouraging people it wasn't possible to feel anything but excited at this event. I know I was totally pumped!! When it came to the running my team really kicked up some mud! We were so amazing and I am so proud of all of us. I have been running alot lately but let me tell you, nothing could prepare you for that. It most definitely wasn't a flat surface and there were alot of obstacles along the way. But we pressed on and it was amazing. We ended up finishing in 48 mins and 35 seconds, we ranked in the top 15% in our division coming in 30th place out of 201 teams!!! Toward the end I started feeling really exhausted because there were alot of obstacles close together, but with my team and all the people cheering I knew we couldn't slow down. There were so many people that I had no clue who they were, cheering us on and yelling our team name out. What an amazing feeling it was to just see all the people and know that we were so close to the finish. But the best feeling of all was knowing that we were making a difference. Us 4 pageant girls that hate it when our hair isn't in place much less being caked with mud from head to toe, we were making a difference. You can't get better than that! And after all the mud is washed away and all of our muddy clothes have been taken out to the trash, we will still be able to hold our heads up high knowing we made a difference. And after all the remnants of the run are gone, all the bruises are gone, all the little scrapes healed and our muscles no longer sore. We will carry the memory of this event for a long long time. It was truly a remarkable experience and thank you to my team (Shana, Fran and Angie) for allowing me to be a part of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment